Saturday, February 4, 2012

Looking up the LCCN for an old book?

I want to look up information of a book that was published in 1959. It is a second edition reprint of the 1946 edition. I can find information on the 1946 by Paulist Press, such as the ISBN. When I go to the Library of Congress website, and search the title, I find the entire series that was published, however, it was in 1947. Would the LCCN be the same be the same for the first book in the series, except the first two digits in the LCCN?|||No. The LCCN is a unique number for each and every book. I was pretty sure of this, but just to verify it, I went to the Library of Congress' website and looked up Gone With The Wind. Sure enough, the 1936 and 1961 editions have very different LCCNs. So I'm not sure how you will be able to find information on the 1959 edition if the Library of Congress doesn't list it. Depending on what you're wanting to know, your local public library may be able to help...they have access to other sources that may give you the information you're looking for. Postscript--I looked on a national library database, and I was unable to find LCCNs for the 1946, 1950, 1953, 1959 or 1960 editions. It's weird. I was also unable to find ISBNs for any of them except for one. Of course back in the day, not all information was recorded, but I know that doesn't help you any. I'll ask a colleague about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment