Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How do you appropriately organize a vast book library?

I have a large book library of basically one genre: Star Trek Books. In most cases these books are one shot books that should basically be categorized as "Star Trek - (Name of Book Goes Here)" when using cataloging software. But I have a bit of a conundrum: some of these stories are spread out over multiple books hence having the general "Star Trek", then a Sub title to that, then a Sub heading and book number. And because of that, I'm not sure if it should be categorized as follows:





ex. 1: Title - Subtitle: Sub Heading (book number)


i.e.: "Star Trek - Destiny: Gods of Night (Book 1)





Or





ex. 2: Title - Subtitle (book number): Sub heading


i.e.: "Star Trek - Destiny (Book 1): Gods of Night





OR





ex. 3: Title - Subtitle, book number: sub heading


i.e.: "Star Trek - Destiny, Book 1: Gods of Night"





The reason I'm asking this very detailed question is because I want the books to be easily searchable within my iPhone's eBook reader. let's pretend for a second that I can't add a sorting algorithm that allows me to change the way it's sorted from the title (like you can do in iTunes, having it display the way you want it to look, but giving it a basic sorting order hidden behind the scenes).





I'd like to know, as per library science or Library of Congress/Dewey Decimal, what the proper way to order them would be while still retaining the most info (as I know when searching by ISBN, sometimes the first book in the series isn't labeled as "book 1").





Thanks in advance.|||ex. 1: Title - Subtitle: Sub Heading (book number)


i.e.: "Star Trek - Destiny: Gods of Night (Book1)





this is less compiscated and sounds simple so more people will be able to fnd what they're loooking for quickker ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment